Lynn O’Shaughnessy recently published an article title 7 Things You Need to Know About Private Scholarships which can be found here, http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-college-solution/2011/02/01/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-private-scholarships.html.
Here is a brief run-down of the 7 Things You Need to Know About Private Scholarships.
- Private scholarships don’t represent the biggest source of college cash.
- Full-ride scholarships are extremely rare.
- Scholarships can reduce your financial aid award.
- You should apply to less popular scholarships.
- Some majors are more lucrative than others.
- You’ll have better luck with local scholarships.
- Do some volunteer work to increase your chances.
The tips Lynn gives about private scholarships are extremely helpful and gives students a realistic idea of what to expect when applying for private scholarships. Don’t let her advice deter you though, the more you apply for scholarships and get your name out there the more likely you are to receive some financial aid for college. And with the costs of college continually rising upward, the more money you can get your hands on the better.